Whats This All About?

My photo
Berkeley, California, United States
Exercise and Traveling...

Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 0 - The Preparations

All This....
...went into this.






























Five hours from now I will likely be doped up on sleeping pills. My goal is to sleep for the entirety of my twelve hour flight to Taiwan. Followed by a four hour short skip and hop (by comparison) to Saigon. Our trek will begin there, in a city of 9 million, which is supposed to have some of the best cuisine in the world - Everything from fried grasshoppers to the more familiar Pho soup. Two months from now I will be back stateside, undoubtedly a changed man.

This brainchild of ours, this vacation, this journey, was agreed on about a year ago during a painstaking mile run at the UCF Gym. There David and I ran through the UCF gym for the only time that entire semester (we're busy studying most the time). As out of shape as we were, this mile was responsible for solidifying a journey of 1000 miles through a part of the world we barley know - South East Asia. For the geographically disinclined, this region includes Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia.


Most would say, "Be careful. I wouldn't go there."

Some would say, "Yes, I have heard great things about Thailand and Singapore. But I am not so sure about traveling through Cambodia."


A few would say, "I want to go!"

Well I guess we are in the few.

Well we are packed after about four straight days of buying gear and making packing lists. As you can see, we fit A LOT into a relatively LITTLE backpack. Packed are about 4 days of clothes, a first aid kit , some toiletries, baby wipes (you never know when you gotta go), and some good shoes.

This blog will be updated periodically, and I will do my best to keep it entertaining. Hope you all will enjoy my travels as much as I will (though I know you wont enjoy it like me :) ). Speak to you again on the other side of the bigger pong (The Pacific). Please do comment.

Spencer

2 comments:

  1. First post and you and your traveling buddy already have contradicting stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, two perspectives...same story. I had already commited david to this trip before he even knew ;)

    ReplyDelete